7 Reasons Writers Should Read Every Day
Deborah Ng, Guest Author
As writers it’s part of our job to read. Now before you comment about how reading is a luxury and it’s hard to find the time to hang out with family, let alone read, let me urge you to reconsider. It’s a writer’s duty to read, and read often. Here’s why:
1. Reading helps us to stay focused and sharp. I don’t know how it is with you, but when I left the workplace I began to feel out of touch. I felt I was losing some basic skills. Reading keeps me sharp.
2. Reading keeps us updated. No matter what type of writer you are, you’ll need to know what’s going on in the world. Newspapers, magazine and even books keep us apprised and gives us different points of view.
3. Reading gives us ideas. Yesterday during piano lessons I was reading the latest issue of Wired. While doing so I came up for the idea for this post as well as several others. Reading is one of the best ways to get ideas for our writing.
4. Reading gives us knowledge. We don’t only gain knowledge through research. We also learn by reading and taking in facts – even if that’s not our intention. Even reading for pleasure is a learning experience.
5. Reading turns us on to other writing styles. As writers it’s important to learn different writing styles. Notice how formal one writer can be when writing an editorial for a newspaper, but more relaxed when blogging or writing a novel?
6. Reading is fun. Nothing is better for passing the time except maybe listening to music. Of course, I listen to music while I’m reading so I get the double whammy.
7. Reading sets a good example. When other people, especially children, see you reading they want to know why it’s so enjoyable.It’s not enough to read to your kids each night. If your children see you reading every day, they will want to do it too.
What did you read today?
Copyright © 2011 – Deborah Ng. Deb Ng is a tireless champion of new freelance writers. She helps new writers get started via her list of freelance writing and blogging jobs, Freelance Writing Jobs (sold to SplashPress Media in July 2010). She is the Community Manager for BlogTalkRadio, and a serial guest blogger.
Larry James is a professional speaker and the author of three relationship books, “How to Really Love the One You’re With: Affirmative Guidelines for a Healthy Love Relationship,” “LoveNotes for Lovers: Words That Make Music for Two Hearts Dancing” and “Red Hot LoveNotes for Lovers.” His newest book is “Ten Commitments of Networking.” Larry James also offers “Author & Speaker” coaching. Contact: AuthorsandSpeakersNetwork.com, P.O. Box 12695, Scottsdale, AZ 85267-2695. CelebrateLove@cox.net – More than 110 articles especially for Authors & Speakers at: www.AuthorsandSpeakersNetwork.com
NOTE: All articles and “LoveNotes” listed in this BLOG – written by Larry James – are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.
Add Larry James as a “friend” to your Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/larry.james
Follow Larry’s “once daily” Relationship Tweet at: http://www.Twitter.com/larryjames
Follow Larry’s “Relationships” BLOG at: http://CelebrateLove.wordpress.com
Follow Larry’s “Networking” BLOG at: http://NetworkingHQ.wordpress.com
Follow Larry’s “Weddings” BLOG at: http://CelebrateIntimateWeddings.wordpress.com